Pens, Pencils and Markers
Author: Craft Giraffe Date Posted:6 December 2016
Pens, pencils, markers and crayons... there are a plethora of options out there and Craft Giraffe has one or two of them! But what is the best pick for your project, read on as we cover all the bases.
Pens & Markers
- Starting with the original, the Classic. These are archival, waterproof, fade resistant and chemical proof. So wherever permanence is important this is the way to go. Available in two ball sizes for either a 0.3mm or 0.4mm line you won't get smearing, feathering or bleed through on most light colour papers. The Classic White can be used on dark papers.
- Stardust Gelly Rolls capture the sparkle and glitter of stars to make handwriting and colouring extra special. The 'dust' is an inert cosmetic grade ingredient that produces reflective brilliance. They are also archival, chemically stable, waterproof and fade resistant, however the sparkle may lift over time. For best results these pens should be used on light coloured or matte paper surfaces, where it is resistant to bleeding, feathering or smearing. Available in a range of colours and a clear option.
- Metallic Gelly Rolls polished opaque colours write on both light and dark papers as well as glossy and matte surfaces. The ink is archival, waterproof, fade resistant, chemically resistant and does not bleed through most papers. The pens deliver a distinctive reflective sheen that can also be used like a watercolour, with an aqua-pen or paintbrush.
- Moonlight Gelly Rolls brilliant colours seem to ignite the darkness, for best results use them on dark paper or vellum. The opaque Moonlight ink comes in two types, archival and flourescent. Archival is pigment based and is chemically stable, waterproof and fade resistant. Archival includes blue, green, purple, red and rose. The fluorescent colours can fade if exposed to direct sunlight, and they will glow under black light. These pens won't feather, smear or bleed though on most paper types and are availble in both bold (Moonlight 10) and fine (Moonlight 06).
- Glaze Gelly Roll Pens create a unique 3D translucent line in a range of glossy, bright colours. These pens may be used on translucent surfaces such as acetate for a stained glass effect. The ink is waterproof on most surfaces and for best effect should be used on light, non-porous, smooth, matte surfaces. The ink may take 10 minutes or so to dry.
Copic Alcohol Markers are made in Japan and are the highest quality alcohol based pen on the market. Available in 358 colours, all pens are refillable and offer consistent colour time and time again. The pens are grouped into colour 'families' and are named by one or two letters and two numbers which can be explained below. For best effect use Copic markers on X-Press Blending Card stock.
Sakura Pigma Micron Pens contain Pigma ink that was invented by Sakura over 25 years ago and they continue to be the most reliable permanent ink on the market. This permanent, fade resistant, chemically stable pigment based ink will not bleed or run if liquids are spilled on or applied to a document or page after the ink has dried. With preserving memories in mind this pen is a great idea for journals, cards, quilts and dolls. Available in a range of sizes and colours - use Pigma Micron to leave a mark that lasts a lifetime.
Ranger Distress Markers by Tim Holtz are a dual ended marker with a brush tip and a fine point tip. As with the rest of the distress family, these markers blend with each other, are reactive to water and can be used in any of the same ways or techniques that you would with the existing Distress line. Available in 60 colours to coordinate with the rest of the Distress products.
Sharpie pens offer a permanent solution on just about any surface. We stock these in a brush tip set and also the 'stained' set designed for fabric.